Tuesday, June 9, 2009

On strongly disliking bloggers

My mom claims "hate" is a bad word. Or, at the very least, a "strong" word. She continues to encourage me to use the phrase "strongly dislike" as opposed to the four letter afore mentioned verb.

For once, I'll take my mom's advice in making a statement: I strongly dislike bloggers. Unless I have some sort of connection to you, I truly and honestly don't care what books you're reading, what music you're listening to, or your restaurant recommendations. I have absolutely no desire to know your "deep" thoughts and I especially don't care where you found a sale on diapers for your two month old. I mean, seriously?!

Maybe I'm being a tad harsh. But all of you reading this post have some kind of connection to me. As in you actually know me in the real-life world. You would come to my funeral and say nice things about me if I got run over by a Marta bus tonight. At least, I hope you'd say nice things.

I do confess that I frequent several blogs of people I don't know. John Mayer posts pieces of the songs he's writing on his blog. It's pretty damn cool. And I love insights into the minds of genuinely creative people. Especially if they are tall, attractive musicians types. I also skim Donald Miller's blog. (If you haven't read "Blue Like Jazz" stop reading this instant and go out and buy yourself a copy. No, I'm serious, stop reading...go NOW!) Sometimes he posts parts of his current writings and funny videos with music from bands of which I've never heard. But, occasionally, he's boring, so I skip those posts. If you're hilarious I'll read your blog. Like the "Stuff White People Like" blog and the take-off "Stuff Christians Like".

If C.S. Lewis had a blog, I'd read it. If Mark Twain had a blog, I'd read it. If you had a blog I'd read it, cause you're reading mine and I probably like you and have maybe even left the continent with you.

But, honestly, this blog is more for me than it is for you. It's to keep me thinking and writing and remembering and being thankful. When I remember and reflect, I'm grateful for all that which I've been truly blessed. And I need to display gratitude much more frequently than I do.

And my musings are partly for you too. To see pictures of places you haven't been and to read about what I'll forget to tell you when I return. I hope that you don't "strongly dislike" it.

No comments: